I just left the presentation. BORING, basic, and a total waste of time. Actually, I was "sold" before I walked in the door and came ready to PAY IN FULL. (Doing a remodel and need the savings). But their constant "used-car-salesmen" technique unsold me by the first 5 mins. I experienced my "future customer service experience" from the minute I walked in the door. It started when they had me write my name on a cheap little label so they can "tell the guests from the members". For $6000, at least have our labels pre-printed and waiting for us. Just inside the door, my "guide" said it's a requirement that he ask if I'm married or single. He said it was so they could verify if I qualified...HELLO??? I'd already answered that on the survey and before my appt. He then led me to a little patio and told me the refreshments had been all eaten up by the previous group, but we could have water or coffee "for free". Honey, if I'm going to shell out $6000, go buy me a box of cookies and any drink I want! It was like attending a Mormon or Scientology cult mtg. You're immediately assigned a guide who sits with you and doesn't allow you to walk around, browse or talk to anyone unless he's present. He even waited OUTSIDE the bathroom door for me when I took a break!!!

He didn't have any answers to my questions b/c "he's only worked there for 1 month", but his name badge said "Director"! My questions weren't hard. I'm sure I wasn't the first one to ask how to return something if the item isn't like the VERY samll picture in their catalogs...They add 8% chg to every product BEFORE taxes and delivery! You can't return anything w/o 25% fee (and only IF that company will "accept" your return), the catalogs are ANCIENT and the pictures small, colors washed out, etc, their online shopping isn't "ready yet", but 25% of the products WILL have their prices online someday!...you have to pay for delivery and hire someone to set-up your items which I was assured can by done "relatively cheaply". So: add 40% to every "savings" just to get your items home and assembled. And he kept saying that since "you're single, I'm sure you have friends that help you out alot"...over and over I was referred to as "single" or "alone", even in the mtg in front of he other 2 couples...really rude! Not a way to win a customer. Items take 4-12 wks to order. When I asked for specific catalogs and items to compare, the savings weren't as good as Costco, Lowe's, etc. The guide had someone else's survey and kept calling me their name, even tho I was wearing my hand-written badge so he could use my name every other word...SO tacky. When I said I would be back tomorrow since the mtg had gone one for over 3 hrs and I had to be somewhere else, he got ugly, said this is the ONLY time you can become a member or for the next SEVEN yrs you can't be "invited" back...I told him my money is as green today as tomorrow and any company that's legit would want my dues no matter when. I also said any reasonable company would WANT their members to make an informed decision so they could bring in their family and friends as members. Alas, he said we were done and he escorted me TO MY CAR DOOR. SCARY and SLEAZY! Glad I didn't do business with them...

Constructive thought: Lose the "guides", re-stock your refreshments, pre-print our labels AND our contracts, send us a DVD to view BEFORE our appt: I still would have bought the membership!, lose the white-board, stop having the presenter make the whole group nod yes/no to obvious questions so he "can continue", shorten the presentation to 15 mins and stop repeating the same points over and over: WE GET IT! We're intelligent consumers. Treat us with respect. Send us the contracts and pricing BEFORE the presentation: I was ready to buy and that wouldn't have changed anything but would have saved time. When you say the mtg will be 90 mins, keep it to 90 mins! I had to leave after 3 hrs for a prior commitment, and my guide was JUST getting out the pricing options! I wanted your product. Sadly, your own company TALKED ME OUT OF IT every step of the way!

Had an Experience with Direct Buy?

Comments

Missouri City, Texas, United States #9857

I made a complaint to our local BBB, and they said it was not within their scope to address "buyer's remorse". This is not anything close to buyer's remorse, this is an illegal, immoral, and unscrupulous company using hig-pressure "now-or-never" tactics, which by it's very definition is coercion. Follow up immediately with your local BBB, state and Federal Attorney General's Office, and if necessary, hire an attorney to research you local State Statutes that may give you specific language under the Consumer Protection Act as a way to fight these predators. Below is an excerpt from what I wrote to our local BBB that refused to take any action:

With all due respect to you and the BBB, this is not a case of "Buyer's Remorse", but moreover a case of predatory practices employed by this business to secure clientele. With regard to the business mentioned in our original letter, DirectBuy of (XYZ), we were pressured into believing that had we not joined at that moment, we would never be invited to join again. By this act, it is the very definition of "High Pressure Sales" techniques, which is our belief to be an immoral, oppressive, unethical, and unscrupulous practice as defined by Oklahoma Statutes, Title 15 - Contracts, Ch. 20, Consumer Protection Act, Sect. 752 - Definitions, 14. By utilizing this practice, they are also in violation of Oklahoma Statutes, Title 15 - Contracts, Ch. 20, Consumer Protection Act, Sect. 753 - Unlawful Practices, 20, which directly refers...

While the BBB doesn't have any legal power with this company, might I also remind you of your Vision Statement as posted on your website: "Our Vision: An ethical marketplace where buyers and sellers can trust each other." Also, immediately below your Vision Statement is your Mission Statement, an excerpt including the below:

Creating a community of trustworthy businesses

Setting standards for marketplace trust

Encouraging and supporting best practices

Celebrating marketplace role models, and;

Denouncing substandard marketplace behavior

By and with your failure to take any corrective action and communicating to this company their violation of State Statutes, you may as well be aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise. I sincerely hope this is not the case, and that you will reconsider you voluntary choice of inaction.

Believe it or not, I AM NOT an attorney, just someone that gets mad and starts looking at what I can do to stop this kind of thing. My best wishes to all of you that have been taken for the ride and victimized by this company. Please research you local laws and statutes, and don't let the BBB tell you "No". Take action, that is what America is about!

Leander, Texas, United States #9745

PLEASE, to all those who have complaints, please report to your state Attorney General's Office, as well as the US Attorney General's Office. If enough people complain, they will look into this company's shoddy practices and do something about it! It's all online to fill out, PLEASE do it now!!!