Me and my wife saw a direct by ad on the tv - about buying from the manufacturer directly. I called and left a message - and received a call from a sales associate - We were invited to an open house and were told - we would get a chance to meet and learn about direct buy. Good .. so far !

We also received a brochure in the mail.

We visited the show room in the evening and the experience started from the time we stepped in. We were received by an uninformed associate - who bored us to death for 15 minutes by totally talking some sense less info about her family and our family ( kids, neice etc - Trying to connect !!!).

After 1 minutes we were shown a 30 minute video with inbetween authenticating sales pitch by the director. Finally they sprung it on us - pay $ 5000 for 3 years - right now ( the same evening or never ) and claiming a average cost of $ 630 a year for 10 years.

Ones we were done - we were again put back in touch with the sales associate - and I have started asking the questions ? Here is the exact convesrastionwhich i never experienced from any company trying to sell .....

I do not know direct buy and here to learn about you - how can you spring a surprise of $ 5000 tonight .

She called a guy (A manager ! )and he started - "well we sent to the info - did you read the fine print . IT Is your fault -if you have not read it.".

Too bad if you do not know direct buy - we don't know you - ?? ( I do not know why he should know me to take a cheque for $ 5000 on his company name)

Long and short - he asked us to walk out right away without any courtesy - and there was nothing for them to show -other than a wearhousesetting with bunch of binders - and not allowing to touch them.

This is a very big scam and do not waste your time .

I'm plaing to report the experience to BBB - so people are not pressured into sacrifysng hard earned money.

RG - Chicago

Had an Experience with Direct Buy?

Comments

Out of sheer curiosity we visited the DirectBuy store in Vancouver, BC.We had seen all these commercials- "save $30K on cabinets" and we thought, well, we should check it out since we were planning on a kitchen and bath reno.

We had our "free guest pass" and went to the store- Whoa, can you say "DirectBuy is the Time Share of Retail." High pressure to get a membership, we were told that aside from the video we watched we HAD to buy a membership right now to learn more. Needless to say, $6000 for a membership was not exactly something I was going to plunk down my Visa for. Upon doing more research we ended up getting our kitchen cabinets from Ikea (also in Vancouver) and paying around $4200. The salesman at DirectBuy told us we could expect to pay around $54,000 for cabinets and counters installed based on the size of our kitchen and that DirectBuy could save us possibly 50% of that- well, Ikea saved us 90% of that so I think that worked out to be a bit better deal.

I like it how they say they eliminate the middle man and sell direct. Well, if you go to their stores I think you will see that what they do is really ADD 2 or three more layers of middle men to the process rather than eliminating them.

When you pay $6k for a membership you can bet that any savings you may get is a direct result of that membership fee.All you have to do is research, kitchen cabinets dont need to cost 40-50-60K, thats crazy, even half of that would be a custom install...

Yeah...regarding "Hot Breat"'s comment: You should have known, since you worked for the company, that each Direct Buy is individually owned.

I am very sorry for your misfortune with your employer, but don't slander the whole company because of one person. And to everyone who thinks it's a scam, I'm sorry but you are sorely mistaken. I have friends who work for Direct Buy and I myself have worked for a company that Direct Buy purchases from. Companies like Home Depot, Lowes and many others also buy from us.

When a company, any company buys from us they get a 50% discount, the another discount on top of that, depending on the contract they have with us. So if they order something that's $1000, they pay only $500, then we discount that price even futher so they only end up paying $300 or so, maybe less depending on our relationship with them. The moral of the story is, while companies like Home Depot buy from us and pay $300, they'll still charge you $1000. But when you buy from Direct Buy, even if they charge you $600, or $700, you still win!

And if you are renovating your home, the savings keep piling up, and I promise (if you are doing more than just buying a microwave) it is well worth it... you're *** not to do it if you've got a large project on your hands.

People are so afraid of getting scammed that their fear makes them ignorant, and they miss out on tremendous opportunities and go get scammed even worse anyway.Good luck with that...

DirectBuy Sued!

A federal lawsuit has been filed in U.S.

District Court in Hartford against the national high-end DirectBuy franchise operation, accusing it of falsely telling prospective clients that they are getting furniture, appliances and other household products at manufacturer prices. In a lawsuit filed by attorney Seth R. Klein of Hartford, DirectBuy is accused of hiding the fact that DirectBuy receives rebates from manufacturers which are not directly passed on to their members, who pay as much as $7,000 to join for two or three years. The lawsuit, which seeks to be certified as a class action representing thousands of present and former members of the more than 100 franchises, was filed earlier this month.

It follows a column on DirectBuy that disclosed the rebates, which are kept secret from its members and from those it entices to join through high pressure sales techniques.

DirectBuy officials had no comment on the suit but had said earlier that it uses the millions of dollars it received in rebates to the benefit of its members.We will see what a jury has to say about that.

Wow, it really is amazing to me that pretty much all of you who have written your comments about direct buy on here really have no idea what you are talking about.I have been a member of direct buy for about ten years now and I am not saying that I have never had any issues at all because that would be virtually impossible...no matter where you go you are always going to run into problems here and there.

The *** who wrote the first remark on here is clearly someone who doesn't spend the least bit of time checking things out for himself and just goes on what everyone else says not to mention needs a spelling lesson worse than my 5 year old son. I have saved over 100,000 dollars buying through direct buy and will continue to save money. It is unfortunate that people these days let the "gossip" get to them and don't experience it for themselves or I guess do experience it for themselves but by the time they get there already have minds made up. Anyway enough rambling my suggestion to anyone would be to wake the *** up and do your own thing!

Obviously this place is not going to be for everyone its just not logical but for those it is for I hope you are not to *** to listen to hear say and not check it out for yourself because it has been wonderful in my life anyways! Just wanted to throw in my comments considering I actually am a member and have been for just about 10 years now. And the line that was written above "if you dont know direct buy then we dont know...

If anyone has any real concerns or questions about this place i'd be more than happy to try and help out...I dont know all or much just from what i've experienced being a member!

Thanks!

Very Happy Direct Buy Member!

Linwood, North Carolina, United States #24115

I've been a member of DirectBuy for about 5 years, and I couldn't be happier!Joining to buy a sofa or a TV is not the point.

It only makes sense if you have a major renovation, if you just bought a house to furnish, or if you're in the house-flipping business. I had just bought a house when I joined, and we easily saved between $20,000 and $30,000. We do the research on everything, and on most consumer electronics the prices are actually higher at DirectBuy than at BestBuy or Circuit City when they have their sales.

But for furniture, flooring, cabinets, and beds you just can't beat DirectBuy's prices.You just have to do your homework first.

Richton, Mississippi, United States #20511

I had a telemarketing call from these nimrods today, this after telling them 3 months back to never call me again.

They guy said I had been selected as a semi-finalist in their contest, the big prize being a $25,000 room make over. I countered that I had never entered a contest so I would doubt his claim. He then said that I was invited to attend an event at their warehouse in Waterloo, ON. I said I had no interest in that, nor was I keen on the whole telemarketing thing....and before I could finish by asking him to never call me again and put me on a DNC list, he interrupted me by saying that maybe they could help me with something next time, Goodbye, and then hung up.

I didn't even have the chance to finish.

I was going to send them an email via their corporate site, which I have not located yet, but since i found this site and have read your comments about their tactics, I don't think I will bother. With my luck they will call me more frequently!

Thanks for the heads up!

K.

Simonton, Texas, United States #18474

Several of us has worked for DirectBuy of Jacksonville, they are rip off and a scam.The owners mostly Randy is a viper, vicious money hungry liar, hater and a nazi.

Till this day he has fired all of the Afro American workers in one month. He uses his managers to harrass his workers, one of the managers has sexually harassed a lot of the women there and then he gets rid of thembefore they complaint. Please do not purchase anything from them.

They are going bankrupt.a concerned direct buy worker.

Simonton, Texas, United States #18473

They are going bankrupt.a concerned direct buy worker.

Missouri City, Texas, United States #9858

I made a complaint to our local BBB, and they said it was not within their scope to address "buyer's remorse". This is not anything close to buyer's remorse, this is an illegal, immoral, and unscrupulous company using hig-pressure "now-or-never" tactics, which by it's very definition is coercion. Follow up immediately with your local BBB, state and Federal Attorney General's Office, and if necessary, hire an attorney to research you local State Statutes that may give you specific language under the Consumer Protection Act as a way to fight these predators. Below is an excerpt from what I wrote to our local BBB that refused to take any action:

With all due respect to you and the BBB, this is not a case of "Buyer's Remorse", but moreover a case of predatory practices employed by this business to secure clientele. With regard to the business mentioned in our original letter, DirectBuy of (XYZ), we were pressured into believing that had we not joined at that moment, we would never be invited to join again. By this act, it is the very definition of "High Pressure Sales" techniques, which is our belief to be an immoral, oppressive, unethical, and unscrupulous practice as defined by Oklahoma Statutes, Title 15 - Contracts, Ch. 20, Consumer Protection Act, Sect. 752 - Definitions, 14. By utilizing this practice, they are also in violation of Oklahoma Statutes, Title 15 - Contracts, Ch. 20, Consumer Protection Act, Sect. 753 - Unlawful Practices, 20, which directly refers...

While the BBB doesn't have any legal power with this company, might I also remind you of your Vision Statement as posted on your website: "Our Vision: An ethical marketplace where buyers and sellers can trust each other." Also, immediately below your Vision Statement is your Mission Statement, an excerpt including the below:

Creating a community of trustworthy businesses

Setting standards for marketplace trust

Encouraging and supporting best practices

Celebrating marketplace role models, and;

Denouncing substandard marketplace behavior

By and with your failure to take any corrective action and communicating to this company their violation of State Statutes, you may as well be aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise. I sincerely hope this is not the case, and that you will reconsider you voluntary choice of inaction.

Believe it or not, I AM NOT an attorney, just someone that gets mad and starts looking at what I can do to stop this kind of thing. My best wishes to all of you that have been taken for the ride and victimized by this company. Please research you local laws and statutes, and don't let the BBB tell you "No". Take action, that is what America is about!

Missouri City, Texas, United States #9855