Dawn L Mrw

Verified Buyer

Totally Dissatisfied

Direct Buy - Totally Dissatisfied
!I ordered a washer and dryer. Supposed to come in in November, then changed to January. I wanted to cancel order as Costco has same items for lower price and delivery included and I have to pick up with Direct Buy at their warehouse 1 hour away from me. The wouldnt cancel and all of a sudden my washer and dryer are at their warehouse instead of only arriving in January. The will not deliver nor give me the same price as Costco. I have paid more for washer and dryer and have to pick them up on top!!!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Very rarely better pricing with all additional charges
Cons:
  • Pricing not great no delivery for most products

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Do not Join Direct Buy

map-marker Courtice, Ontario

Not going to renew

I am in Ontario, Canada. When I joined Direct Buy in 2004 I had extensive renovations to do in a home we purchased. I renewed in 2014 and paid the $400.00 or so annual membership fee. The showrooms all closed, and the prices are now on par with sale items now. They seem to be reinventing themselves as a Travel Agency, and I am not interested, especially bad for Canadians.

User's recommendation: No. Not unless they get away from travel.

Patricia J Pdm

Really Pissed!!!!

Ordered one box of Meritage wood composite flooring On January 1st. Before it was delivered, I canceled the order with the delivery company which, I was told by a Direct Buy Agent.

It is now March 18, it is still now not resolved. I paid $253.00 which $100 of it was Direct Buy Credit. Out of my pocket it was $153.00. Now they are telling me that I will only get $74.00 back and that if the product is returned damaged I will have to pay an additional $100 if the box is damaged.

Why is that my problem I never had it delivered to me. I could have ordered from Wayfair, and would have ended up paying no delivery charge and not had a problem at all. Direct Buy no longer have show rooms, so you can't actually know for sure what you are getting.

The delivery fees are ridiculous so in the end after paying for this membership there really is no advantage at all. Usually, I can get things less expensive and definitely with much better customer service elsewhere!!

Loss:
Pros:
  • Non

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't join Direct Buy!!!

Paula F Edg

Bait-and switch

We joined Direct Buy Several years ago. They had an awesome showroom, help desk in Las Vegas. They also had several other showrooms around the country. Furthermore, they had designers, and great deals. If they had kept the staff available for us to consult with, we may have survived our build. Then all showrooms closed, and the prices skyrocketed. Their inventory is pathetic. We have become builders since that time. We are aware of wholesale prices. That is not available At Direct Buy anymore. The prices are at or near retail.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Show room
  • Not anymore

Preferred solution: Have a conversation with me.

User's recommendation: Shop around. Unless they change-don't waste your money

Quentin L

Long time Member

I've had a membership with DirectBuy for ten years. I've only had two issues with them I did not find favorable with. 1. The sales experience. Although the people were nice, you somehow felt like you were buying a 'pig in a poke'. However, I was familiar with the markups on the product I bought the membership for and they not only saved me $20,000 on the purchase price of my kitchen cabinets,but also gave me several major upgrades over what I had priced. 2. Not long after I purchased my membership, they closed the showroom in my area. The next nearest showroom is nearly 300 miles away. Despite this, I do make at least one major purchase from them annually and have saved thousands (over the cost of my membership) over the years.

User's recommendation: If you are buying high end home furnishings and products, they're phenomenal. If though, that's not what you are looking for Amazon Prime will usually be your better bet.

map-marker Welland, Ontario

Good deals - sometimes there are glitches

I use Direct Buy and Direct Buy travel and have saved a lot of money. Mostly by using the quarterly specials.

I got an all inclusive resort in Puerto Morelos for $250 per person plus the cost of flight. It was incredible, the food was outstanding and we loved being there. I traveled on March break which is usually one of the more expensive times to go. If you can travel in February or November when everything is cheap anyway, you will save some money but if you have to travel at high season you will save lots of money.

The only downside is that you are tempted to go back to the same places because they are good deals. This year we are going to Atlantis in the Bahamas. It is a DB preferred resort and it was $2000 less through Direct Buy compared to every other website I checked. To me that's worth the membership fees.

My biggest complaint is that sometimes there are problems with the booking and you have to call in, some people are great others don't know how to fix problems.

I've spent hours on the phone before solving a problem but eventually it always gets solved. It's still well worth the savings.

Christiane B Uuq
map-marker Northfield, Illinois

Not what they advertise and promise

Direct Buy - Not what they advertise and promise
I purchased the membership on 1-11-14 : the "Gold" membership for the amount of $3,990.00 with the promise that I would save my membership dues back within the initial 3 years.....well, I did not....and since they wanted me to pay additional money for the 4th year....I refused...so no longer a member...but now just found the paperwork for the initial purchase and found the signed "PROMISE" that if for any reason I did not recoup my $3,990 in savings by 1-11-17..that Direct Buy would pay my annual renewal fees until I did....well as I mentioned...they looked for more money from me....I used the membership to buy tiles for a kitchen backsplash, a small powder room and kitchen counter....trust me the savings did not exceed $500. What a racket!
Loss:
Cons:
  • Sales pitch- complete lack of ethics
Not as promised

Preferred solution: Full refund

Martin T Rov

| map-marker Aurora, Illinois

Dream house ruined!!

Updated by user Oct 09, 2018

agross@***.com screwed everything up and they're charging me for their mistakes as well as deflecting blame. I have all the proof.

their mistakes cost me thousands. they don't care because they already have the money.

I'm going to be forced to sue for compensatory and punitive damages. It was a mistake ever joining their "exclusive club."

Original review Oct 08, 2018
We recently ordered $21,000 worth of custom cabinets and vanities for our new construction home. As I am a 100% disabled Veteran with severe mobility issues, the vanities were required by Dept of Veterans Affairs to be ADA compliant. This was stressed multiple times. Directbuy ordered vanities that were not the correct height. This resulted in thousands of dollars in excess costs and major delays in completion. Directbuy offered to reimburse me $1000. That doesn't even come close to the costs that I was forced to pay. This is our dream home, the home in which I will die. Due to the company's incompetence, they have ruined it. Customer service was way better before new parent company took over. DO NOT USE DIRECTBUY. They care about one thing and one thing only, taking your hard earned dollars.

SERIOUSLY NOT WORTH THE COSTS

We ordered Norcraft cabinets for kitchen and baths for a new build. Not only did we have trouble getting the delivery date but they charged me twice to the tune of $26,000. Took weeks to get my refund. We changed the order one day after putting it in and they owe us a refund. I have made more calls to get my money back and still 6 weeks later we have not received it . Don't get me started about the delivery (a whole other company) Mid Century Cabinets. They confirmed delivery and we were there on time (left the home at 5 am) only to find out the delivery driver had a doctors appt with his wife so they sent another driver that left us waiting for 3 hours. No call, no text and when I complained Ian told me that is the cabinet industry. They are overworked and understaffed. In addition some of the doors were so damaged I cannot believe they made it out of the warehouse, Now I have to re-pay my installer to replace the doors if and when the replacements ever show up. We spent a lot of money to use this membership and when we did we did not save what they promise and the aggravation of calling and complaining again and again to get what we paid for was not worth the little we saved. Buyer beware!!!!!
Guest

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and are committed to turning your experience into a positive one moving forward.

We would like to discuss your issues with your Norcraft cabinets directly with you. Please contact us at 877-285-**** or via email at escalations@***.com.

Direct Buy savings an exercise in futility

I have been a customer of Direct Buy for 10 years. My experiences years 1-5 in Rochester and Albany, NY, were stellar. When we moved to SC, we had a costly and horrible experience with kitchen design, cabinets and recommended contractor. Then Direct Buy closed the showroom. My closest showroom is now 4 hours away in Atlanta. We were told not to worry, that concierge services would be available free of charge. In the last 3 months we have moved and tried diligently to utilize Direct Buy to purchase items. After 2 experiences of doing extensive research and being ready to place an order We were told that they no longer were able to access those manufactures that remain CURRENTLY LISTED ON THEIR WEBSITE, we tried to use the concierge service, only to be told that is an extra $100 fee. Yesterday, I Requested a quote on a mirror and (with all added fees) was quoted $480. I can buy it locally for $465. They say that their base price was less (which it was), but the TOTAL price was more. Sadly, In my opinion, DB has become a bait and switch rip off.
Pricing issue

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

map-marker Merrillville, Indiana

DIRECT BUY TRAVEL - THE WORST MEMBERSHIP! IT IS A SCAM!!!!

WHEN YOU SIGN UP YOU THOUGHT THAT YOU CAN REALLY GET A LOT OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP SINCE THEY WILL GIVE A LOT OF FALSE PROMISES!!!! LIKE A COMPLIMENTARY CRUISE WHICH WOULD ONLY GIVE THOSE CHEAP OPTION CRUISE AND NOT EVEN WORTH THE MONEY YOU PAY FOR IT.

THE 7 DAY STAY IN RESORT, STILL NOT EVEN WORTH IT FOR THE 2500.00 YOU PAID FOR BEING THE DIRECT BUY TRAVEL....THE RESORTS THEY HAVE ARE ALL CHEAP RESORTS TO STAY......YOU EVEN PAYING MORE THAN BOOKING DIRECTLY TO THE RESORT. I AM VERY PISSED! DISAPPOINTED! AND FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!

NOT BE A MEMBER! THIS IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest

I absolutely agree this “service” is a scam. I was taken for over $2,000 and have nothing to show for it.

Apparently, the pandemic didn’t make a difference with this greedy company as the points expired and customer service says they can’t do anything to reinstate them! By the way, today is Monday and the points expired on Friday…three days ago!

Guest

Not only do they take your money, they waste your time on hold. We booked a three family vacation and it was nothing like we booked.

They scammed us out of our money and our time. They allude to being an exclusive membership it is just a scam.

We have travelled extensively and this was recommended to us. It was the worst decision we even made.

Guest

I couldn't agree more. They have a high pressure sales techniques.

They called me at least 20 times to buy the membership. I canceled my membership in the 10 day rescission period. It took 5 phone calls, over 35 minutes on hold, and talking directly with "Customer Service" to get my refund. This is the most frustrating process.

Prior to canceling I checked out their website and the deals were not there. They didn't have the type of hotels/resorts we are looking for. Dates for using the free Mexico trip were limited and time sensitive. Totally unacceptable.

I've been a Direct Buy member for more than 17 years. I can't believe Direct Buy is affiliated with this Travel Company.

Guest

DirectBuy was a scam and this offshoot is a scam as well

Guest

You sure open my eyes about the travel .

Guest

We are living a similar experience. I cannot believe that DirectBuy would scam their own members but they do. Stay away and tell anyone who is considering this insane club to stay away!

Guest

all of the folks that bought into this scam need to come together and file a lawsuit against this company. They were selective of their members.

They told me that to join was several hundred a month for dues. Nope. To save $$$ I am not going to pay outrageous dues.Lots of people have lost a ton of money. Some of the company still seems to be open.

Time to nail them while they are still around.

I would recommend a local attorney in Houston- Anthony Buzbee. He will get some money out of them for you.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1475748

I would certainly join a Class Action Lawsuit. Directbuy prices are more than others online and they cater to locations which are horrible.

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-1520003

I would also joint!!!!

Guest

I agree- nothing really free! On top of that, they’ve booked 2 cruises for us and after you book with direct buy travel you don’t hear from them again.

Friends of ours heard from their travel agents a few times before the cruise- to arrange tables and then ensure set sail passes were printed. Once they had my money I didn’t hear from them again

Direct buy is a great deal- direct buy travel not do much

View more comments (13)
map-marker Spring, Texas

Short Review on April&nbs-04:00;15,&nbs-04:00;2016

Ordered Brookwood cabinets through DirectBuy. Price was reasonable, but the cabinets were a big disappointment. Lots of problems with quality.
map-marker Kalamazoo, Michigan

Directbuy Rochester Ny Review

Consumers need to help others by complaints with the Attorney General... My more complaints they get, the more they can do to provide assistance. This company needs to be shut down.

E-commerce Talks

Art for Your Home Not Museums

Mar 7, 2022

David Afremov
David Afremov

DIRECT BUY SUCKS

HOW THIS COMPANY IS STILL IN BUSINESS IS A WONDER TO ME..THEY ARE THE SLEAZIEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH..PEOPLE DO NOT JOIN AND SAVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!NOTHING IN THIS PLACE IS A BARGAIN AND YOU ARE LIED TO AT THE PRESENTATION..MANY ITEMS ARE DISCONTINUED,,THERE ARE SHIPPING AND HANDLING FEES..FEES FOR USING A CREDIT CARD AND MOST ITEMS CAN BE FOUND CHEAPER ONLINE OR IN STORES..IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON RENOVATING YOUR HOUSE,DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO TO LOWES OR HOME DEPOT,,STAY AWAY FROM THIS *** COMPANY
Not as described/ advertised
Guest

Thank you for your post. I will steer clear of this business!

map-marker San Ramon, California

Worst Experience

This is by far the worst company I have ever worked with and regret every falling for their sales pitch and paying an exorbitant amount of money for a membership.

Two years ago my husband and I went to a sales presentation that promised massive savings on everything from furniture to wedding presents. Knowing we would be buying a house in the near future we were duped into thinking we would save a lot of money on furniture and items for renovation.

For the first year I tried using the membership to buy wedding presents or baby gifts and everything took 6+ weeks to ship and most items wouldn't even ship to home, they would only ship to the store. At most I would save $15 on the items I was looking at it wasn't worth the gas or the time to drive 1 hour each way to their store so I resorted to purchasing the gifts on Amazon and Macys who had great deals and would ship to my house.

After two years of never being able to use the membership I wrote a letter asking for a refund stating that the savings promised were deceptive etc. After 1 month of my letter going unanswered I finally called the store trying to speak with the manager. I left 10+ messages for him and finally after a week of calling and having to demand to speak with him did he ever answer my call. I brought up my request for a refund and he advised he saw the letter and set it aside and was too busy to respond. They were short staffed and he couldn't find the time in four weeks to even acknowledge my letter which only proves their terrible customer service. To my dismay they were unable to refund us and promised to work with us and help us find savings now that we were looking to furnish our new house. He assured me the sales staff could help us find items that would ship to our home in 1 week. So trying to make the best of it we went to their store to order a refrigerator. Our new house didn't have one and the sales staff promised the one we ordered would be delivered in 1 week... so we ordered it and went over three weeks without a fridge.

We then needed a washer and dryer and after spending hours trying to find good deals on their site we ended up finding it cheaper at best buy and they could get it delivered that week vs. the 4 weeks we would have to wait with DirectBuy. The problem with DirectBuy is you only save money on items over $1,500. Anything under that you can find cheaper elsewhere with free and faster shipping.

We then tried to buy baby furniture from them and they only carried 5 brands and they were very expensive. I was about to buy a furniture set from them for close to $1,800 and over 6 weeks delivery (it would be coming after baby was born) but my sister knocked some sense into me and I ordered it on Amazon for a fraction of the price and free and immediate shipping.

We went in again to try and buy a rug. After hours at the store looking at books for rugs they didn't have the pricing on the rugs we were interested in. Now two weeks later I am still trying to get the pricing from them for the rugs.

The time, aggrevation and poor customer service is not worth it. I cringe every time I think of the money I spent.

map-marker Brownsburg, Indiana

Direct Buy Membership Review from Brownsburg, Indiana

DO NOT believe this person! Direct plus is a joke, scam, etc. I can't believe that people think that by joining a club that you are going to save money. Simply put, watch the Sunday paper or the Internet. Both clubs seem to have people there that try to lock you in to a membership. Direct plus has a fast talking guy named Jim who has his brother (Brian) write Jim and direct plus reviews all over the internet. Sleezzy tatics like a used car salesman is how Jim operates with direct plus. Do your research first, you DO NOT need to pay a membership, handling fees, and all the silly fees that go along with direct plus. I give direct plus a year and they will be OUT OF BUSINESS! What a joke... Shame on you direct plus!!! Stay away people it is a SCAM!!!
Not as described/ advertised

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article